Sunday, October 26, 2008

Trail Ride in Green Lane

Today, T and I trailered to the Orange Trail in Green Lane Park. It is the first trail ride that we have done with Jax. Penny and Razzle met us at the trail head, everyone got tacked up and we set off - T on Jet in the lead, me on Jax in the middel, and Penny on Razzle bringing up the rear. It was very apparent from the start that Jax didn't have much trail experience. He was huffing and puffing like a freight train and I had a pretty good grip on him. Luckily the trail is narrow and rocky which makes it a good training trail. He started to relax about 15 minutes into the ride and handled it like a trooper. We had one scary spot where he decided to walk across a small boulder and slipped but kept his feet. He paid more attention to where he was going after that. We crossed the road 3 or 4 times with no problems and he stopped when I asked him to. We did a little bit of trotting but there were lots of wet leaves and I didn't want anyone to fall. Jet was his usual steady self and Razzle was as consistent as ever. Jax has a very energetic walk so it made for a brisk ride. By the end of the ride, he had lowered his head and relaxed quite a bit. We rode just over 3 miles (I finally got to use my GPS) and we rode for about an hour and a half. Jax decided he didn't want to get back on the trailer but we got him loaded with minimal fuss. Once we got back to the farm, T took Jet in the woods to run around and I rode Jax in the ring. Then T got on Jax in the ring and I rode Jet. All in all a good day - I'm tired.

No comments:


Free Cowboy and Western Quotes
Related Posts with Thumbnails