Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11th

I grew up about 15 miles outside of New York City with regular views of the New York skyline. The Twin Towers were constructed when I was a kid and, for me, they were always part of the skyline. The area was devastated by what happened since it was a suburb of New York and people commuted daily for their jobs. There was signs in the days that followed in every business and store in the area with "Have you seen me? Last seen at the Twin Towers". It was heartbreaking. My stepfather and brother-in-law were both police officers and brought supplies in.

T had just turned 5 and started kindergarten on September 11, 2001. I was at work when Craig called me to tell me that a plane had just crashed into one of the towers. He called again to let me know about the second plane. I immediately called my mom who still lived in the same town where I grew up. Work was buzzing with everything that was going on and one of the IT guys set up a TV in the conference room. We all watched in horror as the towers fell. No work got done that day and everyone just wanted to go home and be with their families. T asked me innocently that night "Mommy, that person flew that plane into the building by accident, right?" How do you tell a 5 year old that there are just some evil people in the world? I was honest with her and told her that there are just some not very nice people.

In this day and age of instant communication, sometimes words are just not needed. Budweiser ran this ad just once, not to sell product but in tribute to all those that lost their lives on September 11th (click to view).

Never forget...

No comments:


Free Cowboy and Western Quotes
Related Posts with Thumbnails