Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cows?!?

The trip to the Kutztown Produce Auction always gives me lots of photo ops.  The scenery is beautiful and tranquil and I love seeing acres and acres of farmland.  I wandered around taking pictures of the flowers for sale, the birds in the adjoining wheat field and the newly sprouted corn.  The farm behind the auction has a really cool herd of Percherons which I photographed last year and it is still one of my all time favorite pics.  It's a modest working farm with an old farmhouse, several outbuildings and hoop houses. 

To my surprise there were creatures of a different sort in the pasture.  Most of the cows on the farms near by are mostly dairy cows with some beef cattle (usually Black Angus).  These are definitely not dairy cows....I was fascinated by how peacefully they grazed in the same field with the horses and I spent a lot of time watching and photographing them.

Moseying over to the other side of the pasture
Check out the horns on the one in the back
I believe the other one is a young Brahma


Hard to tell from this angle but that's a Texas Longhorn on the right
We're a long way from Texas...
You can see the Percherons farther back in the pasture
Just to the right of this pic is the rock cluster where the Percheron pic was taken last year


Look at the span on those horns!


I'm pretty sure that this is a young Water Buffalo
Where on earth this came from I have no idea
Not what you expect to see on a Mennonite farm in Pennsylvania

The Brahmas along the fence

Peacefully nibbling grass

Scratching an itch...cautiously

Once they were finished grazing, all the "cattle" peacefully moved closer to the barn and
the horses moved over to the shady spot under the trees by the rocks

I was really blown away by how quietly all of these different animals cohabitated. 

7 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Nice pictures!

I saw some long horns the other day and thought, wild... I wonder where those came from!

Maybe the Amish are bring them in to the area?

threecollie said...

Amazing! I wonder what they do with them.

Sydney_bitless said...

I bet they are pets. Strange to have that many different species.

CTG Ponies said...

I doubt that they are pets. The Amish and Mennonite farmers don't typically keep livestock as pets. It was a strange sight, to be sure.

Linda said...

Around here Longhorns are quite common and sometimes even Brahma's. It's when I see a llama or alpaca that I wonder "what the heck are they doing with them."

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well llamas and alpacas are wonderful to use for their fleece to spin and knit....which I do with ours...and I take my llamas out packing and hiking in the forest to carry my water, food and extra gear.

Wow. Such an interesting and colorful variety of cattle. Did the farmer only have one water buffalo? That's an odd creature to have on a typical farm. They kill more people in Africa than any other wildlife. I'm surprised that they only have that simple wire fence and no barbed wire or electric...and maybe railroad tie post instead of those scrawny wood posts.
I'm impressed that they all get along so well, too.

The cattle scratching itself, reminded me of a woman I once saw with 4-6" fingernails. She had to be also be very careful when she tried to put make-up on or scratch her nose. She could have poked an eye out! lol!


~Lisa

Carolynn said...

Really lovely. If that IS a water buffalo (and it certainly looks like one), that would be most unusual. They're one of the most dangerous animals on the planet.

Thank you for stopping by to leave such a lovely note at my place last week. xoxo

Carolynn


Free Cowboy and Western Quotes
Related Posts with Thumbnails