Friday, June 11, 2010

Jet has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Today has been a very difficult day. It's with a heavy heart that I type these words. Jet was euthanized today. He was having neurologic issues that the vet felt he would not recover from so we made the difficult decision to end his suffering. I held on to him as he took his last breath so he would know we loved him until the end. He was my buddy and is irreplacable. I will miss his goofiness, his flappy lip, his Big Bird legs, his sensibility and affection, how he took care of T. I will measure every horse against all that he was. We are fortunate to have had him in our lives for two and a half years and I am comforted by the fact that we gave him the very best life. He didn't have an easy start to his life, as evidenced by the marks on his back and his poor feet when we got him, but he had a great life with us and especially as T's partner. He was my steady-Eddie, my trail leader, the one you always grabbed to work with an inexperienced horse, the confidence booster. He would take care of a small child or run flat out. And he was Reserve Champion in 2009. Not bad for a little horse of unknown origins who will forever hold a big place in our hearts. Rest in peace, my Jetty. May you gallop in green fields forever. Say hello to Diego, Snoopy, Binky, and Cocoa for me. I miss you already.


12 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Oh how sad. It is never easy to lose a loved one - and Jet was "a member of the family". My thoughts are with you and with T - who will have so many cherished memories of one very lucky and special horse.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

So sorry for you loss. Jet will be missed by all your readers too.

The Wife said...

so sorry....hugs to you and your family.

Carolynn said...

I'm so sorry to read this. An impossible decision. Such a loss. May you feel peace, knowing you gave him a loving, safe home and helped to ease his suffering at the end. My heart goes out to you.

xoxo
Carolynn

colleen said...

I am sorry for your loss. There are no words that will take away your pain, only time and the wonderful memories you have of him. He will be missed by all of us.

CTG Ponies said...

Thanks to everyone that commented. It's been a tough day and we will miss him greatly.

Sydney_bitless said...

I am so sorry. Having to put down a beloved equine is the most lonely feeling in the world.

If you have any of his tail hair I do a special price for bloggers on horse hair jewelry commissions.

Rising Rainbow said...

Very sorry to hear about your loss. My heart is heavy just in the reading, I can only imagine what you and your family are feeling.

Shirley said...

Aw, how sad I am to read this. It is a decision I am familiar with, and it is never easy to say goodbye to such a loved companion. Hugs to you and T.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I am now recalling all those special photos you've shared of T and Jet together and they are making me cry. Life can be so unfair. I'm so sorry.
This also makes me worry about my horse Apache. She has done so much for me helping to rebuild my confidence, just like your Jet, that I would be crushed if anything happened to her.

I want to go out and wrap her up in bubble wrap and a forcefield now to somehow keep her safe.

When you spoke of neurological symptoms, what did the vet say they were and what caused them?

Had he been suffering from them for a while before they go too bad?

~Lisa

threecollie said...

Oh, wow, I am so sorry. With summer's business I hadn't read this post. My heart just aches for you...it is easy to see that he was one of the special ones...

Linda said...

I am so sorry to hear this.......I didn't know until now. I know how hard it is to lose a good one.


Free Cowboy and Western Quotes
Related Posts with Thumbnails