Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Riding Again

When Jet died, I wasn't sure that I wanted to ride again.  He was my lead horse and the one that I trusted completely.  Zip is a much more high strung personality and I felt like we didn't really know Kali well enough to know what she was capable of.  I felt a bit lost, like I had lost my riding guide.  I shook myself off and made a decision to ride this past weekend.  I wanted to see if I still loved riding as much as I used to.  We've all decided as a family to kind of go back to basics so we're taking it easy and reinforcing the basics.  Plus it's very hot here (high 80s and 90s) so no one wants to do anything too strenuous.

Me on Kali with the sheepskin bareback pad
(please ignore my very white legs that don't see the light of day too often)

T on Zip
(don't let the jeans fool you, she had shorts with her and went in the creek after we rode)

A quick switch and I was on Zip

We worked on lots of stopping plus walk/trot transitions, 
a little bit of weaving the cones and ring spear

T tooled around on Kali
She's like sitting on a couch

Backlit


My next goal is to ride Zip with just the bareback pad and the English bridle with the pelham bit.  We have never ridden him bareback so it should be interesting.  All in all, it was a good ride for horses and riders and it reminded me why we do all of this.  I am looking forward to more ride time and hopefully some trail time.

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I'm glad you are getting back on the horse again.

I hope it cools off a bit - or you can find the shady trail.

The Wife said...

I, too, am glad you got back on. BTW, you haven't seen white legs until you've seen mine! Yikes, get the shades out!


Free Cowboy and Western Quotes
Related Posts with Thumbnails