Thursday, March 12, 2009

Trimming Horse Feet & Vet Visit

I took a vacation day Monday for the spring vet visit and I decided to trim Charm's feet before the vet visit. Craig snapped some pics while I was trimming. At least he didn't get any close-ups of my backside :) I know the outfit is striking but it's functional, right down to my flowered Bogs boots.


This is Dr. Seybolt with a boarder's horse, Kid (his owner Liz is standing behind him). No pics of him with my horses as Craig and I were both helping. The minis can be real stinkers but everyone behaved very well and it went off with a hitch. Blood for Coggins was pulled and annual shots were administered. Dr. Seybolt is an awesome vet!

4 comments:

Ed said...

OOOHH a pedicure and bloodletting, too much fun.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ed...lol!

You do a great job on Charm's feet. She has good looking hooves. Have you always done farrier work? Are you self taught or have you had training? I'm impressed. It sure is back breaking, too. I'm sore after just picking out a hoof, nevermind trimming. lol!

I'm glad everything went so well with the vet visit.

~Lisa

CTG Ponies said...

I've been doing barefoot trimming for about 2 1/2 years now. Charm had shoes on for one cycle but we had them pulled. I trim everyone else. I really got into it when I had a Mustang whose feet were really messed up from bad trimming/shoeing, thrush and a rider who ran him on pavement until he came up lame. I gave blood (literally-he knocked a hoof stand into my face and I had stitches), sweat and tears for him to have good feet. He was sound in less than 6 months. I read a lot, asked a million questions of any farrier I came in contact, studied pathological photos. It's hard work but the outcome is very satisfying. I routinely trim all 4 myself (including the minis).

Anonymous said...

Huh I wish you would come trim my horses feet...


Free Cowboy and Western Quotes
Related Posts with Thumbnails