Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Stills Challenge - Barns

This week's Sunday Stills Challenge - Barns. How could I not love this challenge since we have an abundance of barns in the area?!? Most of the area barns are bank barns and usually have a stone foundation with wood above and painted red. It's a style very specific to Pennsylvania.



An old dairy barn on an abandoned farm.
This farm is subject to subdivision and won't be around much longer.




The ruined foundation of an old bank barn




The local hay farmer's barns. The red bank barn on the left houses his 2 prized Black Angus cows and the loft is full of hay. The red pole on the right is where he stores most of his equipment and hay wagons.



A typical Pennsylvania bank barn with an overhang above the stall doors.



The back of a bank barn, where the barn gets its name from.



Another barn on the same property as the previous photo, used for horses.
I also had a post earlier in the month with photos of an old abandoned barn that Craig explored. You can see the pics of that barn here.

Check out other bloggers who participate in the Sunday Stills Challenge.

21 comments:

threecollie said...

REally nice! You did a great job finding some really wonderful barns. What a shame about the sub division though.

Andrea said...

Wonderful shots...it's so sad to hear of the ones that are no longer functioning.

The Wife said...

Love the colors! I'm kinda partial to the last barn. I like the weathered look. Great job!

Ed said...

Great shots, I particularly liked the ruins shot..:-)

Anonymous said...

Boy, these are BIG barns. Loved all your pics.

Sherri said...

I especially love the one taken through the trees. Great job!

Holly said...

ah yes, the bank barns. The barn I board at is a bank barn. Low ceiliings, remodeled cow barn, barn cleaner and all! Good job.

Anonymous said...

Your barn shots are great. Bank barns have always been a favorite of mine and I'm always drawn to the ones that need a lot of love!

MariesImages said...

Great variety of barns!

Paula said...

Looks like you have a lot of beautiful barns in your area. I really like the shot that shows how bank barns got their name. We don't have stone foundations around here, so I'm loving these!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Beautiful barns and photos, too! The barn that is wider on top than bottom is vey interesting. wow!

So sad about the one planned for a subdivision. It's too bad they can't integrate the barn there as a part of history and use it for community events...like barn dances, etc. :(

~Lisa

Flo said...

Wow, so many barns!! And I could find one :)
Great photos. You can see what I came up with over at my photo blog.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I love the barns in your part of the country. Nice job!

Regular Guy said...

I like the bank barn photos. Reminds me of growing up in Michigan. I remember seeing a lot of those style barns. Nice job.

Carroll Baker said...

Beautiful barns! I love the old textures. In our area, our city has grown so much that we have lost a ton of old farms as well to sub-divisions.

it is a shame for sure!

Anonymous said...

The history behind these must be amazing, if only they could talk. It's sad that so many are going to be gone in a while.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Well done! I enjoyed them all, especially the shot of the barn through the trees! :)

VioletSky said...

That barn could easily be used in a new subdivision - just a bit of imagination and creativity (and houses that complement the surroundings...)

It is interesting the different styles of barns.

Patches said...

Beautiful barns! Nice job!

gigi said...

Pennsylvania sure has some beautiful country and barns, love the red colors. Gorgeous!

Thanks for stopping by and I was excited that someone finally saw that tree growing out of the window in that old barn. I thought that was so cool and it didn't stand out so much in the pictures. Thank you.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Those are some neat old barns!


Free Cowboy and Western Quotes
Related Posts with Thumbnails