Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday Stills - Architecture

This week's Sunday Stills Challenge - Architecture. This one would be fun and I knew that I wanted to focus on more than one subject. I had one picture in mind from my archives from a day trip to Philadelphia a couple of years ago.


This is City Hall in Philadelphia on a bright, sunny day. I kind of like the way the sun bleached the outside of the building and the arch frames the marble structure inside.





This is the Henry Antes House in the town that I live in. It was built in 1736 and is a wonderful piece of history. Every year there is a folk festival held here which showcases the Pennsylvania German folk heritage. This is very typical of the types of home built in this historic area. Not classic architecture like City Hall but they sure don't make them like this anymore.
This is the Trinity Great Swamp Church of Christ in Spinnerstown, PA. It was built in 1872-1873 and is truly impressive to see. I have no idea how high the spire is but it soars into the sky.





17 comments:

Andrea said...

Wonderful submissions for this week's challenge...each one captures something so different!! Especially love the first one! :)

Ed said...

Very nice, I love history...

Jen Mo said...

The first one is so unique!!! Love them all though!

The Wife said...

I like 'em all. Love to read about the history of it as well! Great job!

gtyyup said...

Very beautiful structures...we don't see that often here on the West coast...love the history too!

Tracey said...

I really like that shot of the church aimed up towards the sky.

Sabrina said...

That first one is my favorite! Surprising and interesting!

Shirley said...

I love that old house, standing strong through the centuries! Not many modern houses will be around through the dawning of the next century, let alone seeing in three of them like this house!

Anonymous said...

Great shots! I love the sense of history you get with the old buildings. The stonework on the house and church is amazing; makes you wonder how they did it before modern heavy equipment and power tools came along!

VioletSky said...

This has been a great challenge - a chance to expose some visual history of where you live.

Flo said...

These are fabulous photos!! I love the Henry Antes House, can you imagine living there???

Mine is up over at my photo blog.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I really like the house, simple but beautiful:)

Anonymous said...

I love the historical architecture. That stonework is amazing.

Rising Rainbow said...

They are all so different. I love the perspective on the first one.

Anonymous said...

Nice job framing the inside of the room.

Paula said...

Gorgeous shots! I love that stone building. I would love to see the inside of that one~

Girl Tornado said...

I absolutely love old stonework, so the Henry Antes house really caught my eye, great photos! The columns inside City Hall is a great shot too. Hope you're having a great start to your week. :)


Free Cowboy and Western Quotes
Related Posts with Thumbnails